Velico Medical, Inc.
, of Beverly, MA, asked Sunrise Labs to collaborate on the development of a life-saving technology; the FrontlineODP™
(On Demand Plasma) system for spray drying human plasma. This new system will enable blood centers to spray dry versus freeze plasma for transfusion, solving many of the supply chain issues associated with frozen blood products. FrontlineODP™ rehydrates with sterile water at the point of care in under five minutes and is ideal for use in all emergency transfusion settings including operating rooms, intensive care, emergency departments, maternity wards, for civilian first responders and the military. FrontlineODP™ will be an important addition to the trauma care toolkit and is expected to save thousands of lives each year around the world.
- Sunrise led System Engineering, software, electronics and mechanical design, along with implementation and verification testing of the Dryer system
- Agile Development enabled close collaboration between Sunrise, Velico and other partners
- Collaborated on development of the drying process, thermal management, and process schematics
- Designed for Serviceability
- Developed technical documentation for FDA submissions
*Development of the FrontlineOPD™ System is funded by the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA)
, within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response
in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under Contract No. HHSO100201200005C.